Monday, January 13, 2014

Sometimes you have to look around - Ferris Bueller


River Dee in Chester at leisurely pace

Riding a bicycle has often reminded me of the film Cars. 

The irony of this is not lost on me but let me explain.   It is not a longing to be in climate controlled comfort in contrast to the freezing rain dripping off my nose.  Nor is it the wish to have the power of 100+ horses getting me to the top of the hill as opposed to the two spindly legs I have turning away in frustration. 

Instead it is the fact that away from the main routes you often take for speed and ease, there are often smaller roads which dissect beautiful villages or provide views you have just never seen before despite living in the area for nearly 40 years. 

Cycling tends to take you to these roads primarily for the increase in hills, the views, but also for safety reasons. On a quiet country lane you are more able to ride along, talking in a group side by side and not line astern being as little a nuisance to passing drivers as possible. 

Add to this that by trying to ride slowly you have more time on the bike to look around and it makes for a fantastic morning out. 

This happened on Saturday when in plotting a route from Wrexham to Shotton, so we could join the Chester riverside path and, in the vehicular circle  of life, become annoyed by slow moving pedestrians in the middle of the path, I found a road that by passed not only the Penyffordd by pass but also PenyFfordd as well. Anybody who is party to superior intelligence than me may be able to say if there is a particular name for this type of road as I have only heard of a double by pass in the context of heart operations. ;-). 

The Dee Cycle path
Anyhow, this road was quiet, rolling, gave a fantastic view out over the flat Cheshire countryside and on the other side the welsh hills. It was stunning.   It wasn't bereft of strava segments so it is a civilised road but not a commonly used road at all. 

Why has it amazed me?  At the other end if the road above is a piece of tarmac that will forever be known to me as the "bumpy hills". As a child, as a treat my parents drove that way to Chester so we could experience the joy of a 1970s suspension being tortured by a car going over what felt like a Big Dipper roller coaster.   Anyone who remembers things like this will remember this was pre seatbelts being law...they will also probably have quite an accurate picture of kids dramatically throwing themselves around on a back seat as said seat hurriedly comes back to meet them.   The resulting nausea was a small price to pay and Chester was not so far away. 

How that view escaped me until now was where Cars comes in. The bumpy hills, this was not a road you would take if you were in a hurry therefore we never had. Like Cars where the interstate cuts out the travelers to what was a thriving village. 

So I have a thought I am going to try and implement into future routes. I am going to make sure I go on at least one lane that I have never been on before. The thought, combined with my legendary navigational skills, will strike fear into the hearts of my cycling buddies. However it thrills me as to what else I may find right on my doorstep as I have in some of the pictures below. 




Worlds End and a ripped tyre


BASE TRAINING

I have a question I would love an answer to.  Is Base training so called because it is Building Aerobic Stamina and Endurance?  Is this commonly known and I have just missed it?  Should I run off and see if I can Trade Mark this somehow?

The theory i am trying to test is that by riding at a more steady pace we as a group will improve our underlying fitness allowing us to ride for longer at increased efforts in about 9 weeks from now. This is not our theory, this is tried and tested however we are also running into the common problem that easy rides are still too hard. 

Trying to actually ride a bike slowly is not as easy as it sounds.  Now by slowly what I actually mean is at minimal effort and not actually caring upon the speed you achieve but more the effort you are putting in. 

Cycling should be a simple if undefined equation.   When I look at the computer perched on my handlebars the Cadence must be linked to heart rate which must be linked to speed as the visible output (until I justify those Garmin vector pedals pedals or Look Keo power pedals). 

Why I say "Undefined" is because I have no clue what the operators in the equation are but I know they must all be in there. It is also a moving target to some extent as road surface, gradient, temperature and most importantly wind have a big factor to play in the defined output of speed.   

Base training (tm) is around monitoring the main input of heart rate. Now the difficult part is not caring about the obvious visible output.   Finding yourself flying along flat well surfaced road at 130 bpm and 20 plus mph feels great. Suddenly turning into a wind and a slight hill and your speed drops to 13 or less is still disheartening. 

The alternative is you just maintain the gear you are in and take advantage of feeling quite fresh to maintain your speed. Now your heart rate jumps and you potentially ruin two hours or training  for the PB on a Strava segment or to beat your friend to the top of the hill. Tough choice. If the fellow rider is your best friend or your sibling obviously there is no choice here and most peoples competitive streaks will kick in. :-). Some things are important. It also important you have fun on your rides so the statistical analysis may mean diddly squat to you but I have to say I am particularly nerdy about it.  

Am I improving?  The honest answer is I don't know yet but I am riding for longer without stopping on corners for a quick drink or for the longer group coffee stop now.  The general length and duration of the time out is not different because I am not sprinting and stopping so I hope it helps.  

What the last two weeks of doing this have made me realise though is mostly training and riding are different and balancing the two will be fun. 

For now though, if nothing else, I am certainly enjoying the view. 

Horseshoe pass early one morning



No comments:

Post a Comment